Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Life*



“Write the vision, and make it plain.....for the vision is yet for an appointed time...”- Habakkuk 2:2-3
When I first graduated from college, I met with one of my mentors who sat down with me as we discussed my future direction/goals both career and personal wise.  I told her that I wanted to go into marketing and long-term, I specifically wanted to focus on brand development.  She quickly replied, “that’s nice, but where do you really see yourself long-term and think outside of your career.”  Although this conversation took place two years ago, I still remember sitting on her couch being asked this question as if it were yesterday.  I remember really thinking hard about this question….where did I honestly see myself in the long run?  What was most important to me when considering my “goals” and “achievements” of my future?  I had never really thought of that question outside of an interview or my career plans.  I was completely stuck. Lol.  Finally after not saying anything for what seemed like 30 min (in actuality it was probably like 3 but everything is intensified when you’re put on the spot lol) I had finally came up with a reply.  I told her, “well long-term, I’d really love to be a wife and mother and have my own family.”  I remember her smiling as if I had just said the magic words that were going to unlock the next level in a video game lol.  She told me to always have that in the back of mind when making any future plans….in fact, her exact words were, “never lose sight of your main objective.”
This little session I had with my mentor two years ago has stuck with me ever since.  Sometimes, we really should sit down with God, the one who created us in the first place about our future plans and objectives.  Now….let me be very clear by saying this is by NO means a dialogue.  This is not the opportunity for you to go back in forth with God about everything you want to do in life and then pray over it and ask God to “make it happen, cap'n!“ No.  Rather, use this time to find out where your heart really lies.  What are your hearts desires? What motivates and encourages you and how can you use those passions to promote and elevate the Kingdom of God?
" *Everything pertaining to this person's life is subject to change depending on the move of God."
I feel like now is another point to interject and say once again, this is not your time to shine and tell God exactly where You’d like Him to place you in life, but rather close your mouth and open your heart to hear the plans that HE has for you.  The Bible tells us in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans that I have for you…” Not, I know the plans that YOU have for you. Lol.  I have to laugh a little when I read this scripture.  I’m a planner.  I like to have everything figured out before I set out to accomplish something……there’s just one problem with that…..it doesn’t leave a lot of room left for God’s plan.  I think we get so caught up in fulfilling our selfish goals and pursuits that we completely disregard the plan and direction that God has on our lives. I like to think that when we accept Christ as Lord over our lives, our name now comes with a big fat asterisk next to it with a little note at the bottom that says: *Everything pertaining to this person’s life is subject to change depending on the move of God.
"Don't be so caught up in your own plans and aspirations that you limit an all powerful God."
Although God does give us a vision and goals to achieve, He still has full control and can switch things up however and whenever He sees fit.  I encourage you to get quiet before God and really listen to how He speaks to you on the direction He wants to take you in your future.  Let Him produce those long-terms goals in you and never forget your main objective.  Don’t be so caught up in your own plans and aspirations that you limit an all powerful God.  Here’s the truth….whatever plans you come up with on your own for your life…will NEVER compare to the great and mighty things God already has lined up for you.  Remember, He has your absolute best interest at heart….your plans for your life may result in you being happy……but His plans will result in you being satisfied. 

-Leah

Bible Study
*For more on this subject, check out the following scriptures:


No comments:

Post a Comment