Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tunnel Vision...





"I will keep you in perfect peace, if you keep your mind stayed on Me." -Isaiah 26:3


As I was writing "Walking on Water" the words "keep your eyes stayed on Christ" really stuck with me for some reason. I begin to really break that down as to what that meant for me and where I am right now. I don't know about you, but I can be easily distracted. I honestly think I have some form of attention deficiency lol, but it's often hard for me to keep my focus. Honestly, that's a common problem for many of us....but the real question is, what are we being distracted by?

"Whatever you feed the most, will grow the most."

I know for me social media is one of my biggest distractions. I find myself stuck on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram way longer than I need to be.  Now let me be clear in saying social media is not the devil. Lol .....But the negative things that you see and read that are subconsciously seeping into your heart and mind...is. I was once told a long time ago that whatever you feed the most will grow the most. If we're constantly feeding our spirit with Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, then we can be certain that this is what will eventually produce in our hearts.  Allowing the influence of social media to take residence in your heart is a very dangerous thing if you are trying to have a heart that's after Christ. It's dangerous because you're opening the door to feed your spirit with more Facebook/Twitter/Instagram than the word of God.

I'll use myself as an example. There was a point in time where I was very content with where I was in life with who was in it and the things that I had. Then I begin to look on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram and saw what other people were doing...and that quickly, my prayer went from "Thank You Lord for blessing me with what I have" to "Lord why don't I have this?" and then frustration and anger begin to set in.  What's funny is we fail to realize that people can make their lives look like WHATEVER they want them to look like on social media!!! lol By focusing on what other people were doing I was now falling in the trap of misconception.  I all the sudden went from gratefulness to discontentment....all because I was looking at other people. Pretty similar to what happened to Peter when he took his eyes off of Christ on the water and he sank. I found myself sinking in my own sorrows off of what I thought I was "supposed" to have.  But that's because I was feeding my spirit with non-spiritual things. I was looking at others instead of concentrating on the many things God was doing in my life.

"If we want more of Christ in our life it starts with our focus."

If we want more of Christ in our life it starts with our focus. Our focus must be Him. Even if that means shutting down a few social accounts to gain that focus back.  Christ lost my attention for a little bit, but it's time for me to go back to having tunnel vision where all I'm looking at is Him.  The moment we stop wanting other people's lives is the moment God can really bless ours.

-Leah



For another great read on the subject of social media, check out this awesome blog post by Emily Wilson: complexsimplicite.tumblr.com  

*For additional reading on keeping your focus on Christ check out these scriptures:




4 comments:

  1. Leah: the beauty of the Christ in you radiates through your words of wisdom. I stand amazed and praise God! Thank you for sharing a way of escape from an addiction that is blindsiding many of us ever so softly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly appreciate this!! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. You know what? This is beyond true. I started putting a greater time into do other things that I have no time for social media. And believe me 90% of things that get posted is NOT the real deal. Trust me lol. Anyways... I started reading more books to substitute the time spent on social networks and I feel that I have gained more knowledge in 6 months than I did in college! lol so this just hit a nerve but it is true... whatever you feed the most definitely grows the most! Amazing post once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Thanks for reading...and by the way this is written I know exactly who this is :) lol

      Delete