Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Hiding the Pain

    "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you." 
      -1 Peter 5:7

For a while, I continued to wake up feeling groggy and congested every morning.  Initially I thought I was just catching a head cold, but after catching this “head cold” about four times in the past two months, I think it’s safe to say…I needed to see a doctor.  I was experiencing all of the symptoms of a cold, but it just wouldn’t seem to go away. I was so tired of feeling miserable everyday that I decided to go to……..Google. I mean that's logically the first thing to do, right? Now, if you’ve ever gone to Google and typed in your symptoms, let me be the first to break you the bad news: you have 5 days to live.  It doesn’t matter what you enter, it doesn’t matter how mild the symptoms are….if Google is involved, it will say you have a rare disease that only affects 0.2% of the population and you will die.  I’m not lying….try it!

"It's difficult to get an accurate consultation on a medical condition without having the doctor fully examine you...."

After reading Google, and apparently finding out I had one week left to live, I decided to FINALLY schedule an appointment with my actual doctor to find out what was really going on with me. After my doctor asked me a few specific questions, checked my blood pressure, heart rate and lungs, it turns out I just have bad allergies.  She prescribed me a few pills and I was on my way.  See while Google is the world’s leading search engine and knows just about everything, it was never designed to take the place of a real physician.  It’s difficult to get an accurate consultation on a medical condition without having the doctor fully examine you to discover where the real pain is occurring. It’s kind of ironic how the person with the most experience and that can offer the most insight on our medical needs is the person we revert to as a last resort.  What’s even more ironic, is how we treat God the same way. 

"...for some reason our first impulse is to seek advice from people instead of going to the very One who has the power to control the winds and the waves."

When we start to experience pain-like symptoms in our life, for some reason our first impulse is to seek advice from people instead of going to the very One who has the power to control the winds and the waves.  Don’t get me wrong, the Bible says in Proverbs 20:18 that it’s wise to seek Godly counsel. However,we should never let our mother, father, friend or even pastor take the place of us bringing everything that concerns us to God first.  Too often we let other influences guide our decisions, but it’s Christ who knows exactly what we need.  What I love about my doctor is she knows exactly the right questions to ask, she knows the different types of conditions and most importantly, she knows exactly how to treat them.   She’s studied the human body, she knows how it’s supposed to function and can automatically tell when something isn’t working the way it’s supposed to.  My doctor is successful at her job because that’s what she’s been trained to do. 


".....I had to learn how to be completely honest with the true condition of my heart."

Well I’m so glad that I have another Primary Physician that knows me better than I know myself. That literally designed me from dust and put each piece of me together.  Who not only knows how to treat my physical body, but knows how to examine my heart.  However, in order to get this medicine that only He can provide, I had to learn how to be completely honest with the true condition of my heart.  My doctor could only prescribe me the right medicine after I told her specifically where I was experiencing the pain.  We can’t pull fast ones on God.  He knows our thoughts before they even reach our brains, he sees what we did yesterday and what we’re planning to do tomorrow.  Before we can expect God to fully treat us, we first have to stop hiding our pain.  The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 5:7 to, "cast all of our cares on the Lord for He cares."  

"God wants us to take everything that's concerning us to Him in prayer."

We have to stop trying to heal ourselves and stop depending on other sick people’s advice.  God wants us to take everything that’s concerning us to Him in prayer.  So stop walking around sick and in need of medicine.  Make an appointment with the ultimate Physician and let Him examine you and find out what areas in your life are causing you the most pain. Allow Him to perform open heart surgery and prescribe you the right medicine in His Word.  

Bible Study
*For more encouragement on this topic, check out the following scriptures:

No comments:

Post a Comment