Friday, May 11, 2012

The One That Got (walked) Away...




So I'm pretty sure we've all experienced this in one way or another. Maybe you were the one that closed the door after you watched someone walk out, or maybe you were the one that opened it for them. Either way, for which ever reason, their cameo in your life had inevitably come to the last scene.

My freshman year in college I met a guy who showed me what a real gentlemen was...and in all honesty, he set the standard. He was nice, smart, hilarious and most importantly a man of God. He was only a year or two older than me, but for a male (no offense) he was very mature in that he already knew what he wanted. We were by no means involved in anything serious but a few times the word "marriage" and a future came up in our conversations and it honestly scared me to death! I was barely 19...just a freshman in college sheesh! Things seemed to be happening too fast and I panicked and did the only thing I could think to do. I went ghost. Luckily, we didn't attend the same college so the probability of running into him was pretty low. After a few months of me going off the map, he eventually took the hint and stopped contacting me.  I have to admit....I felt really bad about it. He was such a good guy and i enjoyed his company...and i wondered how could i have let him get away?


Now almost 5 years later it still raises the question....did I really let him get away? Or was it just that it wasn't God's plan for us to be together.  I think often we beat ourselves up over past situations. We start over analyzing if we should've done this differently or should've said this over and xyz...but I'm a firm believer that EVERYTHING happens in a specific place, at a specific time, for a specific reason. I could go back in time and wish my should've-could've-would've's all I want, but at the end of the day....the truth is WE WEREN'T MEANT TO BE.  That's it. For whatever reason God didn't allow it to happen. Even if the guy or girl really was a great person. They just weren't apart of the plan and that's okay!  Accept it, embrace it...and stop being dramatic calling them "the one that got away."  God sent them away so He could clear the way for "the one who will stay around." Lol. Yea I know that was pretty corny. :)


-Leah

8 comments:

  1. Lanae ValiseMay 17, 2012

    Wow...this is so true...and perfect timing for me to read this...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's awesome! I'm glad it was for you!

      Delete
  2. the one that got away." God sent them away so He could clear the way for "the one who will stay around....may be corny but its the absolute truth. I enjoyed reading this as well as the other posts and I look forward to reading more! Nice work, continue doing what you are doing Leah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alisha!!! I truly appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 01, 2012

    About a week ago I would have written an entirely different response to this post or possibly not one at all. It is well stated and flows from a vein of wise and experienced knowledge. I recently had someone change my perspective of "God Allowing" things to happen in our lives. (First let me say I am not at all trying to debated your use of the phrase in the text above just trying to invoke a conversation on what "God Allowing things to happen" truly means. When many people say, (As I have up until about a week ago) "God Allows something to happen", it is often used as an excuse to verify where we are in our lives. "God Allows" things to happen, yes but many of the things that happen to us are based on our decisions. There is evil on this earth though so somethings are unavoidable like a speeding car rear ending you. God places systems on the earth and equips us with the knowledge to obtain a great end. For example It is Gods will that we live a well prosperous life and leave out of the world at piece but if one were to run outside and jump in the street there is a system that says an object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force. So your body WILL be sent to the curb if a car hits you.

    God gives us the keys to the systems of the world. There is a law of gravity to keep us on the earth, laws of money where we have to work to provide for our families, laws of fatigue where after about 200,000 miles your car cant drive anymore. We make decisions every day which have an outcome. It's our choice to make decisions which work towards the knowledge of Christ. If I want to be an actor part of me believing I can be an actor is starting to think like I'm an actor. I'm going to go to classes, I'm going to star in small plays, Im going to exercise and eat right. Im going to work towards that outcome and through faith and hard work Im gonna reach my goal unless unbelief settles in and stops us from obtaining that goal.

    Now relating this to the "One Who Got Away" At the time it was to much and you were not ready in that season to receive that type of commitment so you made the wisest choice you could and avoided it. If you believe he may have been the one he could still be!

    God gives us the keys and a car then lays out a map. Whether we always follow the GPS or take our own way at times we can always turn it on and navigate to where we wan't to be. Hopefully our will lines up with where God want's us to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to say I agree with you. However, I do think that if you are consistently seeking God for direction and being obedient (if I could I would bold that word obedient lol) that God will order our steps in the right direction. Even if that means the opposite direction of where we thought we would be or even with WHO we thought we would be with. In the same breath I do believe that we can deviate from "the plan" based on our own free will. Which is why it's vital to stay connected in Christ. He has the answers we're seeking and He knows the way to our destination. We just have to be disciplined to accept His "yes" and even His "no's" and you're absolutely right, if it's in His will for your paths to cross with "the one who got away" again, in His timing...then it will definitely happen.

      Delete
  4. AnonymousJune 02, 2012

    as you mentioned in your other article - it's all about timing. it could be that he was not the one or it could be that it simply was not your time. I know this because it took 26 years after my husband and I first met for us to come back around and get married. Ha – I was even still seeking “closure” 5 years after we broke up and married other people. I do believe had we stayed together then, we wouldn’t’ be together now. We each had some growing to do, things to work out, etc.
    We’ve said from the beginning that only God and [his] momma knew that we were meant to be together – as she is the one who re-introduced us after so many years.

    a little advice from an old(er) lady  one should spend some real time getting to know oneself before trying to get into a relationship. When you know yourself, who you are, what you want out of life, you attract like-minded people to your little circle. That time spent alone is usually the time when you hear God’s voice the loudest and just when you get real comfortable with yourself is the time when God chooses a mate for you. At least that is my experience.

    loving your blog, cuz. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, you never know what God has in store for you later down the line, which is why it's so important to just trust Him. We can only see so much, but He see's it all. We just have to keep our eyes on Him and not people, places and things. Thanks for your repsonse cousin :)

      Delete